Wednesday 6 April 2011

Amenian Tavern

We met with some friends visiting Jerusalem and went to an Armenian restaurent in the Old City. It's down in a basement so it doesn't look like much from the outside (as is normal for houses in the Old City), but inside is a big "cave" filled with Armenian Christian stuff and arts and crafts.
We had a mix of Armenian dishes (of course I've forgotten the names of them, but they were very tasty) and tried the Armenian dessert saussage made of grapefruit-gel and walnuts. We all looked very suspiciously at it when it was served, but it was actually very tasty.

Afterwards we went on a night stroll in the Old City, almost empty of all the people and bazaars and tourists and junk of the daytime. I was proud of myself that I could find my way around in the maze that is the Old City, and both A and I got to answer questions from our friends about the city and islam and judaism and christianity.

The very pleasant evening took a bad ending, when A and I came back to our bikes and found them punctured by the guy living behind the door close to where we had put them, and a "gang" of 3 guys waiting for us. The man living there was very angry and yelled a lot of us and tried to get a fight, but we managed to escape with some "we're sorry"s and "we won't do it again"s. This part of Jerusalem/Israel/Palestine I don't like; that people think it's ok to damage other people's things, because they think the others did something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment