Thursday 27 January 2011

Ben Avram

I've been wandering about in Jerusalem to get lost and find my way back, to get to know the city - and on Jaffa Road I stopped at a framing gallery, where I fell in love with some pictures by this artist. His name is Ben Avram, and according to wikipedia (which is more detailed than his own homepage):

"Edward Ben Avram (born 1941) is an artist who was born in Bombay, India and immigrated to Israel as a teenager. He graduated from the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in 1965 and continues to make his home in Jerusalem.

Most of Ben Avram’s oil paintings and watercolors portray Israeli cities, religious festivals, and Bible stories. He paints in creamy sensual tones incorporating symbols such as doves, a menorah, and Shabbat candles."

I love the bright colours he uses, and I spend some time studying his techniques (not brush but spatula). As A later pointed out, his colours reminds of Esben Hanefeldts (e.g. this). The dealer asked how many I wanted, and already started to descibe how he would roll the painting so I could bring them home to Denmark - but we still have some time here, and still need to find the money for it. =)

Just another picture to show his style.

No comments:

Post a Comment