Friday 11 February 2011

First 3oud lesson

I had my first 3oud lesson today (the teacher was ill last week), and it went very well, though I had to borrow my teacher's rîsha [plectron] because I had forgotten to ask for one when I bought my 3oud. The teacher said I had a good way of holding my right hand on the neck, and showed me how to properly hold the rîsha, and I could hear the difference in sound at once.

I read some notes and played them the same time (luckily I avoided to sing them - but I might have to get used to singing before playing), we talked a bit about maqamat, and he instructed me how to make my own rîsha out of plastic cable ties (or those used by the police as handcuffs) by putting it in olive oil. Very important that it's olive oil. I aked why, and suggest myself it's because we're in Palestina, famous for its olives.

I enjoyed the lesson and the teacher seems very nice and skilled - I just don't like the time on late friday afternoon. Our roommate had invited us for "Kabbala Shabbat", Shabbat celebration with lots of music, but I couldn't attend because of my lesson. And later on, when we want to go on longer trips to see the country, it could be nice to leave friday morning (A's weekend from the university is friday and saturday), and return sunday (none of us have classes sunday, the first day of the week). So I'll ask to get another time. But then it has to be with another teacher, cus this one only teaches friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment