Wednesday 16 February 2011

The role of Social Media in Palestine

I went to Ramallah tonight to join a discussion in the Danish House in Palestine about the role of social medias (facebook, tweeter, ...). Well, I mainly went to see the DHIP and to try to network with the people there - you never know, they might have some interesting projects!

To my surprise, it was actually easy to find; the hint "next to Falafel Abu Khalil" helped a lot. But only because I can read Arabic, as the falafel place only had its name written in Arabic. It also helped a lot that I met two Danish girls outside, trying to put up a poster about the event. Which wasn't easy in the fog, rain and wind (almost weather like a Danish spring-storm).

The discussion itself was no big revolution, but there were some nice inputs and I wrote down some things to check out when I got home (a comic made by some Israeli guys about some Arabic guys - which I haven't found, but then found other interesting things).

Our Jewish roommate was surprised to hear about the young Palestinians at the meeting suggested that the Palestinians should focus on reforming their own, internal structure (get rid of corruption in the PA, get a proper ready-to-take-over-if-we-get-a-state-apparatus) instead of always focusing on the occupation. We didn't really conclude anything, but some of the main figures in social media in Palestine met for the first time - and that might be a step on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment