Monday 21 February 2011

O, patience!

I wish I had it. Patience. This time in the context of drawing. I went to the Jerusalem Studio School to see in their "Drawing in Daylight" was something for me. Three and a half hours in their hall with a variety of sculpturs (mainly Greek/Roman replica), my bench and paper, and willow charcoal - and I was angry with my... work after 2 hours. Stupid thing, it didn't look like I wanted it!

It made sence what the teacher said:
- Don't draw the contours of the object, but draw the shapes of the different shadows and light, the geometrics.
- Then tell about the relationships between the different tones [draw the greytones, shadows].
...I just couldn't make it look like the torso in front of me.

But when she added the next step:
- Now tell the story about the meeting between light and dark, between the tones. Do they argue, do they dance? [Is it a sharp edge or a soft toning from dark to light?]
And suddenly, and when I walked a bit away from my paper, it looked like something! I still need to get the proportions right, but I was pretty proud of myself in the end.

The "model" and my result, including chaos-coal-trying-scratches in the margins.

And maybe I've learned a little more patience with drawing!?

No comments:

Post a Comment