Thursday 3 February 2011

Music interview

Today I was at an "interview" with my coming oud-teacher at the Edward Said National Conservatory for Music. I was a bit puzzled about the purpose of this interview, but I think it was to test if I had any musical sense; if I could recognize minor and major scales (he played on his oud), if I had any rhythmic sence and could recognize the beats, if I could hear which tone was the higher of the two. After 14 years with my clarinet I passed all the tests "very good" - and I would have been surprised if I had failed...

But finally I've found a place to study music - and I've managed to explain what I want to study! - so besides 45minutes of solo oud-lessons once a week, I'm going to attend classes on Maqamat (Arabic scales and music theory), Introduction to Oriental Music, and Harmony (Western music theory). Most of these in Arabic, which will be a challange, but that's the way to practise my Arabic! I hope to catch up on what the others have been doing for the past half a year - but I look forward to start on wednesday! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment